We all say we care about it, we buy products labeled "organic" or "natural, with the expectations that they will be healthy for us. But have you ever really READ whats in those products you put on your skin multiple times a day?
Did you know it only takes 20 seconds for the products we put on our skin to sink in and get into the blood stream?
So what ARE you putting in there? Alcohol, Parabens, dyes, fragrances, what chemicals are going into your bloodstream?
If you are like me, you work hard to live a healthy and holistic life, most people these days are looking into whats going into their products. Never thinking that those products that they put on their skin, are filled with chemicals possibly doing more harm then the food that they eat!! Not to mention the havoc they are doing to the environment and wildlife
Here are what we like to call the "Dirty Dozen" of Cosmetic Chemicals
- BHA and BHT: Most commonly used in moisturizers, these chemicals can cause cancer, disrupt the endocrine system and is harmful to fish and wildlife. Long term exposure has been toxic to rats and has been linked to lung and kidney problems
- Coal Tar Dyes listed as p-phenylenediamine and colors listed as CI (with a series of 5 numbers) these have a potential to cause cancer and may be contaminated with heavy metals which are toxic to the brand
- DEA and DEA compounds these make soap foamy, they can cause eye and skin irritation and high levels of exposure have been linked to liver cancer and precancerous changes in the skin and thyroid
- Dibutyl Pthtlate used as a plasticizer in nail care, linked to endocrine disruption and suspected to be a reproductive toxin
- Formaldyhyde releasing preservatives (DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine and quarternium-15) these chemicals slowly release formaldyhyde, a known human carcinogen. While Formaldyhyde does occur naturally in the environment, these products release much more then is safe
- Parabens are suspected endocrine disruptors that have been shown to effect the male reproductive organs, they also mimic estrogen effecting female reproductive organs as well
- Parfum (aka fragrance) they can trigger allergies and asthma, many are linked to cancer and neurotoxicity, they are harmful to fish and wildlife
- PEG Compounds can be contaminated with 1, 4 -dioxane which can cause cancer, harm the nervous system and effect development
- Petroleum used to make things shiny (think petroleum jelly) can be contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) a carcinogen known to cause cancer
- Siloxanes ingredients ending in "-siloxane" or "-methicone, suspected endocrine disrupter, and reproductive toxin
- Sodium laureth sulfate again used in foaming cosmetics can also be contaminated with 1, 4-dioxane
- Triclosan used in antibacterial cleansers, toothpastes and antiperspirants its a suspected endocrine disruptor and may contribute to antibiotic resistance in bacteria
So before you decide to spend your hard earned cash on something that will in the end probably only be harming you, give it a little bit of research! There are many natural options!
- Use simple oils like almond or grape seed, these are emollient, natural, and won't leave you feeling greasy
- Choose natural options, look at your local food co-op or health food store CAREFUL, read the ingredients, you'd be surprised what you'll find in an 'organic' product
- Make your own! Its cheap, fun and easier then you would think
- Shop Local, your farmers market is sure to have some local vendors that take the time to craft their own
- ETSY always an option for natural and handmade products
In my practice I use only natural and organic products, things that are good for your skin and while you probably wouldn't want to eat one of my handmade lotions or oil blends.. you could do it and be perfectly safe!
To order one of my lotions, oils or scrubs contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or visit my etsy at